NBA Live 08
NBA Live 08 (also referred to as Live 08) is the fourteenth installment in the NBA Live Series. The Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Playstation Portable and Nintendo Wii versions were released in North America while the PC version was released October 30th. The cover player for the English/North American version of the game is Gilbert Arenas while Pau Gasol will once again appear on the Spanish cover. It is the direct sequel to NBA Live 07 and is expected to be followed by NBA Live 09. A demo was released on Xbox Live and the Playstation 3 Store on September 5th, 2007.
On October 11th, EA Sports announced a downloadable update would enable team online play for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of the game, allowing up to ten users to play head-to-head online.
Official Features List
- All-New Quickstrike Ballhandling: Whether you're pushing the ball upcourt or backing down a defender inside, quicker, more responsive ball-handling moves allow you to break down opponents and take complete control of your game with the right analog stick.
- Own the Paint: Put the ball in the hands of your big men and go head-to-head in the lane. With all-new moves and counters, including pump fakes, drop-steps, and spins, post play has never been better.
- See Who's Hot and Who's Not: Using actual NBA shot tracking data, know who to feed and who to defend based on a shooter's Hot Spots, an all-new on-screen overlay showing you exactly where a player is most dangerous.
- Dominate with Your Go-To Move: Every player has a go-to move that they consistently go to when the game is on the line. Now the signature go-to moves of the NBA's best players have been realistically re-created to help you score when it counts. That patented step back jumper? A fadeaway with the big leg kick? If it's in the game, it's in the game.
- A New Look and Feel: 5-on-5 gameplay has never looked so good. Featuring enhanced player spacing and behavior logic in the half-court, upgraded passing and rebounding mechanics, and an all-new two player interaction engine.
- All-New Shooting Mechanics: From deep three-point shots well beyond the arc to 10-foot jumps shots in the paint, every shot attempt has been redesigned to provide more fluid, realistic results. Dunks and lay-ups are now assigned to the same button command making highlight reel plays even easier to perform.
- The NBA Goes Live: Player faces, team uniforms, and authentic arenas jump to life behind the power of next-generation game graphics. Whether you're working on your game in the revamped practice gym or playing in front of a packed house, feel what it's like to be an NBA superstar.
- Like Butter: Running at a smooth 60 frames per second, NBA LIVE 08 is as close as you can get to the court, without dropping dime for courtside seats.
The PC version of NBA Live 08 was very poorly received by most gamers due to the presence of several bugs and database errors. Amongst the most common complaints was the substitution logic which rarely saw guards sub in or out, the effect of fatigue on players, simulated Dynasty statistics, missing functions (such as Player Lock and Reorder Roster) and incorrect bio data and ratings for several players, most notably rookies from the class of 2007. As of 2008, no official fix has been released to address this problem. Several attempts have been made by members of the community to resolve the Dynasty statistics with varying degrees of success. Substituting menu files from previous versions of NBA Live has been successful in restoring access to functions such as reordering the roster and the Player Lock feature. The Playstation 2 version of the game shares the same problems as the PC version but due to the medium is unable to be modded by the community.
In contrast, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of the game were generally more well-received, though the responses remain mixed. Improvements such as the "push" approach to Dynasty Mode were generally liked but many expressed dissatisfaction with the gameplay, citing a continued lack of realism. The decision to lock player accessories in Edit Player has been criticised and several Xbox 360 users have reported problems with unusually long loading times. A bug common in both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 version is the tendency for the player indicator to disappear after entering the pause menu. No fix has been released for either version of the game as yet.
- An avid gamer, cover athlete Gilbert Arenas reportedly provided input for NBA Live 08 based on an early copy of the game.
- The first NBA Live to be released for the Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii consoles.
- The debut of Own The Paint, Quick Strike Ballhandling, Hot Spots, Go To Moves and FIBA World Championship Mode.